Chattahoochee Woman's Club was organized in 1915 as the School Improvement Committee, with 11 women on the roll. At this time dues were set at 10 cents per member. The organization name was later changed to Chattahoochee and River Junction Woman's Club and was admitted to the Florida Federation of Women's Club in 1918. It was made up of three (3) department's - Civic, Literary and Social. In 1918 membership had increased to thirty members and during this year they raised $825.00, which most of the money was used to pay the salary of a school teacher.
In 1920 one of the main programs was "How to Vote", different programs were had to instruct the women how to exercise their Constitutional rights of voting which was soon to be acquired.
On July 4, 1921, it was the "Citizenship Program". As the money making project for the Victory Bridge celebration sponsored by the State Road Department, the club chartered a river boat, the "Callahan", for rides. The hospital band furnished music and swings were hung from trees for the pleasure of the children Souvenirs and other items were sold to make money. After much discussion, one of the items sold were "smokes".
In May 1922 the club was elected for membership in the General Federation of Women's Clubs. The club petitioned the State Highway Department to spare the trees, which was mostly large live oaks, through town along the highway known as "Old Spanish Trail". This administration earned $1,074.24 almost half earned from their river boat project, went for school expenses.
During the next administration health work was added to the projects. The club paid for two hundred children to receive examinations. And for the educational project gave $1,500.00 to purchase opera chairs and a piano for the new school building.
The club became known as the Chattahoochee Woman's Club and a member, Mrs. Marcellus Morgan, presented the club with the deed to a lot on which to build a clubhouse. Fifty percent of all monies earned went into a "Club House Fund". An amendment to this proposal made it possible for the building fund to be used for the school when needed.
The Junior Woman's Club was organized during this period with Mrs. Carlyn Boykin as chairman.
From 1915-1929 the club's activities included holding Chains of Teas, celebrating the club's birthday with a party, remembering ex-soldiers of World War I on Armistice Day, supporting Girl Scout activities, observing National Music Week and landscaping the school grounds.
In the early 30's the Chattahoochee Club merged with the Eureka Club of River Junction and was admitted to the State Federation under the new name of Chattareka Woman's Club. By 1936 the name was changed back to Chattahoochee Woman's Club. The club booked Lyceum attractions and the Chautauqua. The first yearbooks were printed in 1930 and members paid 35 cents each for them. The rose was chosen as the club flower.
During the early 1930's the county took over most of the school's finances however, the club still continued its support of education and health activities but added the needy of the community as a project. The educational projects during this period was assisting in furnishing kitchen necessities and a book shower which added 142 books to the school library. The club paid $2.00 per month for transportation to enable a fourteen year old crippled boy to attend school also, several members fed hungry school children a noon-time meal in their homes.
Working jointly with the Red Cross and Dr. B.F. Barnes, a local physician, the club helped clothe a hair-lipped infant and paid his hospital expenses for a corrective operation.
A pencil sketch of the proposed clubhouse was presented during the 1932-1934 administration. The building would cost $1,500.00, however, the bank turned down the clubs request for a loan of $1,000.00
As the 1930's drew to an end, the emphasis of the club was placed on Conversation, National Wildlife Week was observed and the club joined with other Gadsden County civic organizations in establishing the Glen Julia Park and Association.
The early 40's saw the club move into the Masonic Building on Main Street for meetings and a reduction in dues was made from $3.00 to $2.00.
During this period the members did their part to help the country while engaged in World War II. Club members volunteered at the Red Cross Sewing Room, the club bought Government Savings Bonds and each month sent gifts to veterans in hospitals. Local projects included proposal to begin a public library with many new books donated. Youth conservation was another project, a youth center and playground activities were sponsored. When the State Federation hosted the General Federation hosted the General Federation in Hollywood, the club made pins from the famous and rare "torreya" wood for souvenirs.
In 1970 the club established the Chattahoochee Public Library and in 1975 the creation of the Chattahoochee Nature Park with a picnic pavilion, made possible by funding through a federal grant and individual contributions.
The Club celebrated 100 years of service to the community in July, 2015. As of this date the club continues to be actively involved in local, State and Federation projects.
On October 10, 2018, a category 5 hurricane named Michael changed our lives and landscape forever. Our building received catastrophic damage and our landscape was taken from us. Every club member was affected by this disaster. One member, Lois Doughtery, lost her home. Other homes were severely damaged and property loss was great. Every club in District 2 suffered great losses. Our state President, Sharon Ophilant and Director of Junior Clubs, Shannon Bailey, made their way through the devastation a few days after the storm to see the damage first hand and to let us know they were there for us. We, (President Helen Smith, and members Laura Bundy and Linda Williams-Jones) embraced them, shed tears, and realized that we were part of an organization that embraced their own and were there to help no matter what it took. Clubs in other districts called and offered to help clean up the clubhouse and property.
After ten months the clubhouse and grounds were repaired. We are very grateful to the GFWC Florida Disaster Relief Fund for giving us funds to complete the roofing. This storm showed us just how resilient we were. We rose from the rubble stronger than before and will continue to serve our community and surrounding areas through our volunteer service. #federationstrong #850strong
This history taken from articles written by Grady Turnage, Geneva Herring, President 1984-1986 and Linda Williams-Jones, President 2014-2016.